Thursday, October 16, 2014

6 Minutes in the life of a missionary

I realize I always tell long stories so you get to choose if you want the long version (1) or the short version (2). then skip to(3) for the rest of the email ;) Either way it's told, know this experience brought me immense joy, as have countless other times when I have been entrusted to share His gospel and been successful. all you have to do is trust him.

"For ye have desired that ye might bring the souls of men unto me, while the world shall stand. And for this cause ye shall have fullness of joy." -3 Nephi 28:9-10

(1) We pulled up to the gate. there are a lot of gated communities in Simi. We wanted to visit a man we have never met his name is on our roles and so we tell the guard we are here to see Mr Danzek. He checks the guest list. we are not on there, "of course we aren't" I thought to myself, "they are members in hiding- not many of them welcome us in!"  So the guard calls Mr. danzek. Sister Arndt is next to me panicking! The guard asks for our name to tell to the people over the phone, I say my name but know they will have no idea who it is, "tell them it’s the LDS missionaries." So he does. He laughs then says "Oh, ok" and hangs us, "yeah Mr. Danzek is watching football right now. 

We then give them a name of an active member and he calls and opens the gate and tells us we can go see the second person not the first (and yes, we kept the rules) but as he was calling we asked if there were any service opportunities in the community, he said he had no idea because the security company is separate from the housing association. He asked what religion we were and told him and explained briefly how we believe god reveals his truth to us and the book of Mormon is an ancient record of this. we also offered him service and wrote our number down on a pass along card. "I've studied a lot of religions, but never the Mormons." "would you like a book?" I asked, "It's free" "Yeah! that'd be great!"  

Moral of the story, be honest and follow the spirit and you can find missionary opportunities EVERYWHERE. 

(2) We tried to get into a gated community but the less active member rejected us over the phone, but it was great because we talked to the guard, he asked us what church we were from and he accepted a book of Mormon!

(3) Well, that's about all I have for today. Sister Arndt and I get along great! the lord has really blessed us with the ability to teach together in strong unity. I am learning from her and she is learning from me and we are both learning from god. I am grateful for the opportunities he gives us to SHINE!!! so my invitation to YOU is really an echo of HIS:

"Hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up-that which ye have seen me do" 3Nephi18:24

"Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify you Father who is in heaven." 3Nephi 12:16

6 minutes of holding it up, brings immeasurable joy. The Lord will help us achieve our righteous desires. It is through him that we are able to! try it.


Love you all! Keep the faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment